Tuesday, July 8, 2008

4th of July....?

The 4th of July was one of my favorite holidays growing up. My little town of Fillmore, Ut always put on a great show: a parade (that I was usually in for some reason...), celebrations in the park, and a fabulous fireworks show... so pretty much like every other town I've ever known. Well I think I've found the only place in the U.S.  that doesn't do a thing on the 4th of July, except a wimpy little fireworks show at night. And I live here... Washington, MO. Who doesn't celebrate the 4th... well we don't!! There is a reason for this however. This reason is why most people here get up in the morning, because it brings them one day closer to... THE FAIR! I'm serious. The Washington Town and Country Fair is the first thing people here will tell you about if they know you are new to the area. They pull out all the stops for this celebration: parades, contests, fireworks galore (good ones too, every night), a carnival, petting zoos, concerts (by popular artists I might add), and tons and tons of the greasiest food ever invented for 5 whole days. Sounds fun right? Well it is, cause we went last year and we'll probably go again this year. It's not until the first part of August, but it definitely takes the place of the 4th. Oh well!!!

So to celebrate, we had a ward party at the church and it was a lot of fun. Then instead of going to see the fireworks, you're better off just watching your neighbors! So that's we did, and they were pretty good (there's a fireworks stand or tent selling the really good stuff about every other 2 feet as you drive down the road out here. There are some serious piro maniacs out here apparently)!!! So I didn't go completely without a little sparkle in the sky I guess! I hope the rest of you had at least a "little firecracker" this year!!


3 comments:

Rob & Autum said...

The Fair sounds like it would be tons of fun! Tal sure is a cute "little firecracker"!!

Ross and Rachel said...

This picture is the cutest! I must say, for a small town, Fillmore had a pretty good fireworks show.

Perschon Family said...

I agree..Tal is a way cute firecracker! That is hilarious that the fair is such a big deal! I hope it turns out good this year and makes up for not having anything good for the 4th!

Quotable Quotes

Quotable Quotes