Thursday, May 21, 2009

There's more!!

It seems as though our house is quite popular with the birds. Frankly, I feel like we are running a birdie hotel. As fun as it is to see these little babies, I think it's time to hang out my "No Vacancy" sign and we'll be taking NO more reservations for this year. As cute as they are, they sure make a mess... if you know what I'm saying!

So, the babies from my previous post have all flown out of their nests, but when I went under our deck to check after we got home from Florida I discovered nest number two! As I looked a little closer I realized that 2 of them had fallen out of the nest. I thought, "You're mommy is going to be so sad," so I picked them both up, climbed the ladder and put them back in the nest where there were 2 more. All four had just barely, barely hatch and didn't have any feathers at all and there eyes were still closed. Yay! I saved the day! 

And since you all, I'm sure, want to know this it's not true that if you touch a baby bird that momma won't come back. I called a bird refuge place (yep, I did) and they said that the momma's really can't smell that well and they will come back and take care of their babies!! That makes sense right! Just because Tal stinks sometimes doesn't mean I'm going to fly off and not come back!! 

They were right! Mama came back and here they are all grown up and ready to fly away!


Our next guests were quite a surprise! My friend Cammie so nicely pointed them out after mama bird  about took her out as she was walking to our front door.

Do you like my wreath? Isn't it pretty? I made it myself!! 
I did not put this there! (I think it was added while we were in Florida)

Or these!
Or this!!!!!
Last year my problem was is the birds would sit in the middle of the wreath and poop down my door. Apparently I makes a nice place to have some babies too! Oh, boy. Although, these have been fun for Emma. Yesterday morning we checked them and 3 of them had hatched and had their beaks wide open waiting for momma and the fourth was pecking with his little beak through a little hole in his egg. SO CUTE!! Emma was dying. All four are here now, and I'm expecting more poop on my door very soon! 


5 comments:

Lant Family said...

Lucy loved this post! She has been really into birds lately. She loved to see the little eggs. How fun--well not for you :)

Perschon Family said...

are you kidding me? max would be loving that! i had a nest on my wreat too but i was mean and got rid of it before it go too big. you're nice to have let them keep it there so they could have their babies! i love that emma gets to see it all happening!!! how fun!

and your Florida pictures were great! i totally want to go now! looks like you had tons of fun!!!!! those beach pictures are beautiful!!

Crystal said...

So funny...I guess kittens aren't quite so bad when I consider what it could be....We had a robin's nest in our cherry tree one year. It was fun to watch them.

Stephanie said...

So we had birds make nests in my wreaths last spring and this spring as well!!! It totally freaks my husband out, because they dive bomb the door:) We now have no wreath on the door because a bird nearly flew in the house, so Dane decided time for no more wreaths!....and the fact that one egg broke on our floor may have also had something to do with it.

I love the FL pictures. Your little girl has the same hair as you and it is SO stinkin' cute! LOVE IT.

Jen said...

That is crazy!! Can you even use your door?

Quotable Quotes

Quotable Quotes