Friday, May 30, 2008

Memorial Day


I wish I had a happier picture of what our Memorial Day was like, but I don't. Tal was in the hospital for 3 days (Sunday through Tuesday), while we tried to determine what was causing his 101.5 degree temperature. He woke up feeling quite warm on Sunday morning and pretty tired. While he slept I took his temperature and is was 100.3. I decided to wait until he woke up to see if it had gone down at all. When I checked it again about 1 hour later it had jumped to 101.5. I called Matt at church and he met us at the ER. When we finally were able to be seen, they quickly started all kinds of tests: blood samples, a spinal tap, a urine sample, and a chest x-ray. After 4 different needles, poor Tal was filling like a pin cushion, and his temperature was still very high. After the tests came back, his urine sample showed a high white cell count. The doctor was concerned and decided to take another sample using a catheter. This test showed an even higher white cell count and into the hospital we went. Once we were in our room the nurse came to get him so they could start an IV. After 8 tries and 1 1/2 hours later they finally brought him back with the IV horribly stuck in his head. After a day like we had had, Tal was not a happy boy and exhausted from all the screaming, and mom and dad's heartstrings were barely hanging by a thread.

The next 2 days brought more tests and an ultra sound of his kidneys each showing that that's where the problem was. A culture of his urine showed that he had a staph infection causing a urinary tract infection and the ultra sound showed that his ureter (the tube that connects your kidneys to your bladder) on his left side was very dilated and that there might be a blockage into his bladder. Our doctor transfered Tal to St. Louis Children's Hospital for more testing to see what was really wrong. We were able to go home for one day before going to Children's Hospital, but still had to take Tal to the doctor's office every day for a shot of strong antibiotics (he had to do that for 4 days). Emma would come to help him be brave!

Our trip to Children's Hospital brought over 2 hours of tests, another IV, and finally the results. Tal has what they call grade 5 Reflux, which means that the ureters are bringing urine back into the kidneys causing bacteria to settle and infection to grow. Reflux is graded 0-5 so Tal has the worst. The good news, I guess, is that he has a chance of out growing it. So for the next year, Tal will have to be on an antibiotic every day to hopefully keep infections from coming back. After a year, he'll have to redo all the tests and we'll see if there is any improvement. If not, then they will have to fix it surgically. They'll also have to do surgery if the infection continues to come back while on the antibiotics, because that could damage his kidneys. Tal's already giving us a run for our money!

We are so thankful for the nurses and doctors that took care of Tal. They were so knowledgeable and kind. We are also thankful for loving friends and family who were so willing to help. Tal was as good as he could have been... our sweet little man. Memorial Day was definitely "memorable." And we couldn't have BBQed anyway... it was raining! 

16 comments:

Jesse and Emily said...

We love you guys!! I'm so glad everything is going to be ok!

Rob & Autum said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Tal. Hospitals are definately not fun. We will be sure to keep you in our prayers.

Jessi said...

We are sorry to hear about little Tal. It sounds like he's a trooper thought. You all hang in their and we will pray for you.

Kristi said...

I am so sorry to hear that things are so rough for your little man. It made me want to cry. I hope that things go better with Tal. I'll keep him in my prayers.

Perschon Family said...

I'm so sorry! I can't believe what a hard weekend that must have been for you guys! I'm glad that you got some answers and I hope that things get better with the antibiotics! He is such a cute little guy!!!

Ross and Rachel said...

We're so glad to hear that the doctors figured out what was going on with the cute little guy! We love you and will pray keep you guys in our prayers.

Liz said...

I hope everything goes okay this next year and the problem corrects itself. It is heartbreaking to see these little babies go through stuff like this. Sounds like he is doing better, and handling it well. What a strong little guy.

Curtis Crew said...

This is Clint's wife Tonya. I'm so sorry to hear about your little guy, I'm so happy that you know what is wrong and that there is a way to make it better. We'll pray for Tal and your family.

Sarah Bogh said...

Hey, sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. i've been up in utah the past few weeks and that internet is basically not there its so slow. so i am glad you found me, its good to hear about you guys! i wish i would have known you were living out there last summer we were in St. Louis for work and it would have been fun to see you. your little girl is beautiful! and poor little Tal, that makes me so sad that he had to go through all that! Payten is only about a week older than him and i can't imagine having to do all that to him!! good job being brave and i hope he can stay well from now on! keep in touch k!

Stephanie said...

Oh, I am so sorry!! It sounds like he will be fine, but what an ordeal! Keep us posted!

The Vakautakakala's said...

I'm sorry, I know what you're going through, Both my boys were sick when they were born and had to stay in the hospital with IV's. Misi was in the NICU for a week, and it was very hard. The good news is they figured out what was wrong, so hopefully it was only uphill from here.

Crystal said...

Poor kid! Having sick kids isn't any fun. Hope it all works out right for him.

Tara said...

Hey angeline, this is Tara Catmull (kennard) from Snow College Badgerettes! It was so cool to find your blog from Autum's, but I was sad to hear about your little boy! I hope everything will go well from here forward! Your family is so cute, I love to see how you guys are doing! My blog is taracatmull.blogspot.com if you want to take a look!

Nicole said...

I'm so sorry about your rough weekend. Poor little Tal. I'm glad that they finally figured out the problem. Hallie actually has the same problem. Hers is grade 2 Reflex. We discovered it about 7 months ago. She has to take "yucky medicine" as she calls it everyday to prevent infections, and the crazy thing is Sadie has it too, only on her left side though. I guess it's hereditary. Which is weird because Jake and I don't have any history of it. As of now she doesn't have to take medicine, only if she starts getting infections. Anyway I hope that he will be okay. He is such a cute little guy! Miss you guys.

Brooke @ www.allthingsthrifty.com said...

Angeline,
The doctors thought Londyn had the same thing. We had to have the same tests done when she was 6 weeks old. She had two urinary tract infections in a row and they were sure she had reflux. But, miraculously the tests came back negative and she hasn't had any infections since. I'm so sorry you guys weren't so lucky. I really feel for you because they had already told me what the plan was for her (same thing as you, antibiotics every day).
Good luck. I'll be thinking of you.
-Brooke

Leslie said...

Hi Angeline! This is Leslie (Kincher) Edwards from Snow College Badgerettes! Tara told me about your blog so I thought I'd say hello! You have such a cute family and it's so nice to keep in touch with people this way! I was so sad to read about your little boy...hope things are going better! It's tough having your little ones sick! Our blog is set to private so if you'd like to take a look just give Tara your e-mail address and I'd love to send you an invite!

Quotable Quotes

Quotable Quotes