Sunday, February 22, 2009

Eagles

Eagles you say? No, I'm not talking about about my old school mascot (although I did feel a bit of Millard pride during the day...), but real eagles. This time of year since most of the water north of Missouri is frozen many eagles migrate to Alton, IL where the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers meet to fish. It was a incredible site. We were able to see almost 100 of these truly inspiring birds. 


Here we all are on  the Bluff City Trolley that drove us around to see the birds. Thank goodness for the Trolley. I was FREEZING that day, and the Trolley kept us nice and warm. Grandma, Grandpa, Emma, Tal, me, and Dita's coat in the bottom corner (sorry Matt didn't get you all the way in the picture, Dita)!

Emma made it her duty to make sure everyone on the tour entered and exited on the correct side. It was very funny. And those that happened to get it "wrong" were very good sports to go back down and try it again... the "right" way! Thanks for keeping us straight Em's!
This is the dam and power plant that helps keep the water here unfrozen so the eagles can fish. The seagulls were definitely getting in on the action too!

This was the very first eagle we saw. Very cool.

And of course if there is water, that is were you'll find Emma! 


There were also quite a few pelicans around. 


The kids loved looking out the window. Emma thought the binoculars where great. It made everything look really FAR AWAY...! ;) 

I had to take this picture through the window, but these blue herons were so beautiful!!



And now the eagles:






Most of the eagles fly down for just a couple of months then fly "home", but a few over the years have decided to make this their "home." Eagles mate for life and always return to the same nest. And the nests were huge.

Learning a little more about these majestic animals made it even more clear as to why it is the bird that represents our nation. Such a great experience.

3 comments:

Lant Family said...

Wow that is really fun! I never even knew about that. Looks like a fun day with the family.

lance said...

Oooooh. I have only seen one or two real live eagles in my lifetime, so to see so many in one place along with all of the other cool birds in your pics would be so neat. Nice photography work Ang. I'm so proud. And Emma, thank goodness you were there to help those people on and off the trolley. What would they have done without you. Good work.

Love you lots and lots.

Jess Allen said...

Wow! What a fun family trip! I've always been impressed with eagles and other majestic birds. Great pictures! Hope you guys are doing well.

Quotable Quotes

Quotable Quotes